Recent and Notable Cases
- Robt. Jones Holdings Ltd v Northern Crest Investments Ltd (2010) 11 NZCPR 206 (HC); Related decision: Northern Crest Investments Ltd v Robt Jones Holdings Ltd (2009) 10 NZCLC 264,515; (2009) 19 PRNZ 258 (HC): Counsel for Robt. Jones Holdings Limited (RJHL), in various commercial lease disputes including this High Court claim for $900,000(approx.) in which RJHL were granted Judgment as to liability and damages were then settled out of court. RJHL is one of the largest landlords in New Zealand.
- Duco Limited v Gordon Ramsay & Ors CIV-2010-404-7815: Counsel for Duco Limited, in its $2.5m High Court claim against celebrity chef, Gordon Ramsay, for failing to attend events in New Zealand. This claim settled in March 2012. Duco is a prominent events and promotions company.
- Casares v Oktobor Group Ltd  NZHC 606: Counsel for Oktobor Group Limited, in its successful defence in April 2012 of a claim in the High Court based upon quantum meruit for commission of $500,000(approx.). Oktobor is a wholly owned subsidiary of Australian multi-national, Omnilab Media Group.
- Registrar-General of Land v Burmeister  NZCA 340; Burmeister v Registrar-General of Land  2 NZLR 678; (2011) 12 NZCPR 704 (HC). Counsel in the Court of Appeal in May 2012 representing the Burmeisters in their statutory claim for compensation against the Registrar General of Land (‘RGL’). The Burmeisters successfully opposed the RGL’s appeal. This case will now proceed to a substantive hearing and is the first time a claim has been brought under s 172(b) of the Land Transfer Act.
- Burmeister v O’Brien  2 NZLR 395; (2011) 12 NZCPR 9; (2009) 12 TCLR 539; (HC): Counsel for the Burmeisters in this 2-week trial in the High Court, in which claims of Land Transfer fraud, deceit, misleading and deceptive conduct; knowing receipt and accessory liability were proved against three defendants. Related decisions include: Burmeister v O’Brien  3 NZLR 842; (2009) 9 NZBLC 102,415 (HC); Burmeister v O’Brien (2006) 7 NZCPR 440; (2006) 11 TCLR 737 (HC).
- Bloor v IAG New Zealand Ltd HC Rotorua CIV-2004-463-425, 19 March 2010, 33 TCL 14/3: Counsel for the plaintiff in this 2 ½ week trial in the High Court, in which damages and costs of $1m (approx.) were awarded to the Plaintiff. IAG breached its insurance contract by declining to pay out on the plaintiff’s policies after the destruction of his business by fire.