Kate was admitted to the Bar in 1983 and became a Barrister sole in 1990. Kate took Silk in 2013. Kate was admitted to the UK Bar by the Middle Temple in July 2015. Kate was awarded NZ Lawyer Barrister of the Year Award in 2013.
Kate is a civil and commercial litigator with more than 23 years experience at the independent bar. She is also a qualified mediator. Kate practises primarily in civil and commercial litigation including cases involving contracts and torts, equity and trusts, insolvency and company law, land law, construction law, Relationship property and Health law.
Kate has a special interest in professional regulation. Until recently Kate was deputy chair of Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal. She was for 9 years Deputy Chair of the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal. Kate is a member of the prosecution panel for the New Zealand Law Society.
Kate is the New Zealand Bar Association’s current President-Elect and will be taking over the Presidency in October 2018.
Kate is a past President of the Film & Literature Board of Review.
Kate is past Chair of the National Ethics Committee on assisted reproduction technology (ECART).
Kate writes extensively in the area of Trust Law and is a contributing editor to LexisNexis Law of Trusts.
Kate was part of the High Court pilot mediation panel and was a member of the Weathertight Homes Mediation panel.
In 2015 Kate appeared in the ground breaking right to die case Seales v AG  NZHC 1239.
In 2012 Kate successfully appeared for the appellant in the Privy Council in Descendants of U & A Tumu v Descendants of I Tumu  UKPC 34.
Kate also appeared for the appellant in the Privy Council in Baudinet v Tavioni  UKPC 35.
These 2 cases were the first cases heard by the Privy Council from the Cook Islands.
- Seales v AG  3 NZLR 556.
- H v S (No. 2)  NZHC 696.
- Re Clapham  NZHC 210.
- Body Corporate 198900 Ltd v Bhana Investments Ltd  NZHC 1620.
- A v Standards Committee 2 of the NZ Law Society  NZHC 1896.
- Seales v AG  NZHC 828.
- Collins v Collins  NZHC 2121.
- Carrington v Carrington  NZFLR 571.
- S v D  NZHC 2839; S v D  NZHC 1617.
- Carmine v Ritchie  NZHC 1514;  NZHC 2279.
- S v W (2012) 28 FRNZ 796 (CA); S v W  NZHC; Alt. cit.: Y v B  NZHC 2287.
- Deliu v Hong  NZHC 3329.
- Shanly v Dunsford (2010) 28 FRNZ 299 (FC); Dunsford v Shanly  NZHC 2375;  NZHC 257.
- Featherstone Park Developments Ltd (In Receivership & Liquidation) v Bradley & Ors  NZHC 300.
- Crown Money Corporation v Hertzke HC Auckland CIV 2007-404-4943, 22 March 2011 Lang J.
- Shaw v Haven Trustee Ltd  NZHC 2961.
- Humphries v Edinborough  NZCA 416.
- Scott v Scott  NZSC 111;  NZCA 417.
- Kerridge v Kerridge  2 NZLR 763 (CA); Kerridge v Kerridge  1 NZLR 264 (HC).
Qualifications and Career
LLB (Honours) Auckland University. Master of Jurisprudence (Distinction) Auckland University. Kate has a Post Grad Cert in Health Science (Ethics) Auckland University of Technology 2011.
- CCMau – Massey University Governance Training May 2008
- Massey University 2009 – NZRAB Training