Recent and Notable Cases
Telephone: +64 9-377-3544
Mobile: +64 21-401-445
Fax: +64 9 377 3920
Post: PO Box 2971, Shortland Street, Auckland, New Zealand 1015.
Warren P Sowerby
LLB (Otago), FAMINZ (Med)
- Widely considered to be New Zealand’s pre-eminent legal/commercial mediator.
- Consistently selected to facilitate the resolution of significant local, national and international disputes.
- Completed more than 2,500 commercial mediations involving participants from New Zealand, the United Kingdom, United States, Japan, South Korea, Australia, China, Singapore, Europe and Russia.
- “Ranked number 1 of the Top Ten Mediators in New Zealand in 2016”. – LawFuel
- “Has probably mediated more ‘high end’ and commercial disputes than anyone else in New Zealand, with experience across the widest range of commercial and related disputes”. – LawFuel.
- These involved infrastructure, aviation, construction, finance, media/entertainment, forestry, telecommunications, sport, national and international joint ventures, insurance, health and Treaty of Waitangi issues.
- Trained in the United States.
- As one of the most influential law practitioners involved in the practice of mediation has played a major role in transforming the use and practice of commercial mediation within New Zealand.
- By invitation met and discussed the use of mediation in international political disputes with an Assistant Secretary General at the United Nations in New York.
- Admitted in 2016 as a Fellow of the Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of New Zealand by waiver in recognition of his depth of experience in dispute resolution.
- Appointed as a SIMI certified mediator by endorsement by the Singapore International Mediation Centre.
- In 2011 received an award for the Most Creative use of ADR from LEADR New Zealand and in 2013 named Law Awards Mediator of the Year.
Qualifications and Career