Recent and Notable Cases
Recent Projects where Derek was senior counsel and strategic adviser include:
- Coastal and waterfront developments for Panuku Development Auckland, the Auckland Waterfront Development Agency and predecessors, Ports of Auckland Limited and Kennedy Point Marina Limited including extensions of Westhaven Marina; the proposed new marina at Kennedy Point, Waiheke Island; the America’s Cup infrastructure for the 2020 Defence, including the syndicate bases and the Event on Auckland’s Waterfront; the Park Hyatt Hotel in the Wynyard Quarter; the rezoning for industrial, restaurant, office and residential use of Wynyard Quarter including the North Wharf development; the Cloud and Shed 10 on Queens Wharf; the restaurant, residential and office use of Princes Wharf; the restaurant, office, retail, hotel and residential use of the Viaduct Harbour; the NZ Maritime Museum at Hobson Wharf; luxury lodges at Kauri Cliffs and Cape Kidnappers; coastal residential development for Williams Land at Weiti; and various marinas, residential canal projects and coastal land developments at Westhaven, Gulf Harbour, Pine Harbour, Beachlands and Bayswater.
- Port projects and port planning for Ports of Auckland Limited (Fergusson Container Terminal, port dredging, Viaduct Harbour, Princes Wharf, Westhaven Marina, Bledisloe Terminal) and for other ports around New Zealand. Representing all port companies in New Zealand on environmental issues affecting the industry generally.
- Aquaculture activities including the NZ King Salmon application before the Board of Inquiry, High Court and Supreme Court.
- Commercial retail and residential developments for SKYCITY, Precinct Properties, Westfield (NZ) Limited, Scentre (NZ) Limited, AMP, and others for numerous projects including the NZ International Convention Centre; the Commercial Bay 40 level tower and retail redevelopment of Lower Queen Street, Kipling Street Hospital, St Luke’s Shopping Centre, 277 Broadway, 309 Broadway, Albany Centre, West City, Riccarton, PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower, Deloittes Building, Broadway Park residential development, Auckland Racing Club residential, retirement home and hotel rezoning at Ellerslie, and various office and apartment towers and residential complexes;
- Water and waste infrastructure, electricity distribution and related facilities and telecommunications, including securing suitable policy statement and plan provisions and resource consents for existing plant and facilities or proposed new facilities, including the Hobson Bay and Central Interceptor wastewater tunnels and pipelines, wastewater treatment plants, wastewater discharges, water abstractions, electricity lines, and mobile telephone antennae, for Watercare, Vector and various network utility operators.
- Airport and aviation activities for Auckland International Airport Limited at Auckland Airport and airport planning for Air New Zealand Limited and the Board of Airline Representatives of New Zealand Inc. for airports at Whangarei, Tauranga, Hamilton, Rotorua, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Wellington, Blenheim, Christchurch, Timaru, Queenstown, Dunedin and Invercargill.
- Ferry terminals and rail infrastructure for TranzRail, ONTRACK and Kiwirail including proposed terminals at Clifford Bay, Marlborough and Wellington, new double tracking of lines in Auckland, new branch lines and electrification.
- Industrial plants and activities, warehousing, quarries, sand extraction, and other commercial and industrial projects, including land rezoning, subdivision, land use consents, air emissions, discharges to water, water abstractions or diversions, coastal permits (industrial and business zoning of land for Auckland Airport and for Stevenson Group at Drury, quarries for Winstone Aggregates, on-shore and off-shore sand extraction for Kaipara Limited, various tanneries and asphalt plants).
- Educational and health facilities, including new school buildings, swimming pool and
turf complexes, performing arts centres and hospital redevelopments.
- Application to remove significant heritage scheduled trees and buildings involving publicly notified applications and securing consents.
- Appearances before numerous Select Committees of Parliament in support of submissions on legislation and have prepared and obtained special legislation to provide commercial and environmental powers, including negotiations and liaison with Government and other parties.
- Providing “Lessons Learnt” reports to public agencies or major utilities after significant consenting cases and providing independent reports or opinions to councils where complaints have been made about council processes.