Recent and Notable Cases
Suzanne’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for the husband in complex relationship property appeals in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. This case is a leading authority on:
- Valuation of businesses for the purpose of division of relationship property.
- The appropriateness and amount of compensation to be paid under s 15 Property (Relationships) Act 1976, which provides for compensation for different economic positions on separation caused by the division of functions in the marriage.
- The principles to be applied in decisions about what should happen to the family home when parties separate.
- Acting in arbitrations for parties to disputes arising under commercial agreements (e.g. manufacturing agreements/exclusive supply agreements).
- Acting for Mrs Spencer, the mother of an adult disabled child, seeking compensation for the Ministry of Health’s discriminatory policy of not paying parents who provide support for their adult disabled children. This case involved appearing in the High Court (three times) and the Court of Appeal. This was the first case concerning a claim against the Government for compensation under the Human Rights Act 1993.
- Acting for one party to a joint venture in a dispute arising under the joint venture agreements including appearing in the Supreme Court on the leading case concerning claims for interest on sums of money that had yet to be ascertained under the Judicature Act 1908.
- Together with James Farmer QC, acting for Air New Zealand Limited in the first challenge made to the Commerce Commission input methodology determination made under the Commerce Act 1986.
- Acting for shareholders and/or directors in shareholder/director disputes and/or claims for breach of shareholder agreements.
- Acting for plaintiff beneficiaries and defendant trustees in applications to remove trustees or claims of breach of duty against trustees.
- Acting for a number of estates and beneficiaries of estates in claims under the Family Protection Act 1980 and/or Law Reform (Testamentary Promises) Act 1949.