Recent and Notable Cases
Acted for Fuji Xerox New Zealand in ongoing High Court proceedings against former executives regarding alleged improper accounting that resulted in a $300 million accounting restatement.
Acted for a technology company in High Court proceedings involving alleged misappropriation of trade secrets.
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc v Airgas, Inc 16 A.3d 48 (Del. Ch. 2011) (represented the bidding company at trial in a landmark “poison pill” case arising from a USD 5.7 Billion hostile takeover bid in Delaware, United States).
In re Xerox Securities Litigation 935 F.Supp.2d 448 (D. Conn. 2013) (successful defence of Xerox Corporation in a securities fraud class action in the United States).
JP Morgan Chase v Luxor Capital (represented JP Morgan in New York and Delaware litigation between members of a lending syndicate arising from the global financial crisis).
Acted for the Commerce Commission in numerous prosecutions under the Fair Trading Act, including:
- Commerce Commission v Cavan Forde & Ors  NZDC 26000 (a series of successful prosecutions for misleading representations regarding building products).
- Commerce Commission v The 123 Mart  NZDC 13915 (guilty verdicts obtained at trial for breaches of consumer safety standards).
- Commerce Commission v Youi NZ  NZDC 25857 (successful prosecution of insurance company for false and misleading sales practices).
Acted for the Commerce Commission in prosecutions of finance companies under the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act, including:
- Commerce Commission v Alternate Finance & Crester Credit  NZDC 5076 (successful prosecution of finance company for unlawful taking of security).
- Commerce Commission v Aotea Finance (successful prosecution of finance company for unlawful taking of security, District Court, 2018).
- Commerce Commission v Acute Finance  NZDC 13866 (successful prosecution of finance company for charging unreasonable fees).
Acted for Maritime New Zealand in numerous health and safety and maritime prosecutions, including:
- Ongoing health and safety prosecution of a logistics company and ship’s master in relation to a fatality in the Waitemata harbor.
- Maritime New Zealand v Bawden (successful prosecution of a skipper in relation to a boat crash causing serious injuries, District Court 2018).
- Maritime New Zealand v Fullers Group (successful prosecution of a transport company in relation to a passenger ferry crash, District Court 2017).
Acted for the Overseas Investment Office in enforcement proceedings arising from the unlawful acquisition of sensitive land in New Zealand.
Acted for Qualcomm in competition proceedings brought by the South Korean Fair Trade Commission in relation to alleged abuse of market dominance.
Acted as sole or lead counsel for the Crown in over 20 jury trials in the District and High Courts, including cases involving sexual violence, drugs and financial crime.
Prosecutor v Uhuru Kenyatta ICC-01/09-02/11 (prosecution of the sitting President of Kenya for alleged crimes against humanity).
Prosecutor v Abdallah Banda ICC-02/05-03/09 (prosecution of militia leader for an attack on peacekeepers in Darfur, Sudan).