Commercial Law Specialist
Sam works in civil dispute resolution (litigation, arbitration and mediation), with particular experience in commercial/contractual disputes, negligence, insolvency, tax, and insurance.
After receiving his degree Sam spent 5 years in the litigation department at Ashurst Morris Crisp in London. Upon returning to New Zealand in 2002 he obtained a first class Master’s Degree in Law, specialising in Commercial Law. He went to the independent bar in 2005, working at Shortland Chambers for 2 years before becoming a member of Bankside Chambers in May 2007.
Sam has appeared as counsel at all levels of the New Zealand courts and has regularly represented clients in mediations, arbitrations and judicially-assisted settlement conferences. He has also acted as clerk to the tribunal in a number of international arbitrations.
Sam is an approved civil legal aid lead provider, with certification for appellate work.
- Acting for a New Zealand-based company in a claim for conversion of crude oil against a Singaporean boat charterer (ongoing);
- Acting for three forestry companies in claims against a landowner;
- Acting for a large engineering firm in a claim against a former employee for breach of contract;
- Successfully obtained judgment against landlord in respect of asbestos contamination of the tenant’s premises and chattels;
- Successfully obtaining an account of profits from Fletcher Concrete & Infrastructure Ltd for breach of copyright;
- Successfully obtaining orders requiring an administrator of a will to renounce executorship;
- Pro-bono work for death row inmates in the Caribbean.
- Acted successfully for a Hong Kong litigant in a claim for breach of contract against two New Zealand defendants;
- Successfully defended an architect against charges before the New Zealand Registered Architects Board;
Qualifications and Career
- LLB Canterbury University;
- LLM (First Class Honours) University of Auckland
- Barrister, Bankside Chambers 2007 – present
- Barrister, Shortland Chambers 2005-2007
- Corporate counsel, London and Auckland, 2001-2003
- Ashurst Morris Crisp solicitors, London, 1995-2000